Surface Area of Solid Figures

Date: 9/18/95 at 20:46:0
From: barry
Subject: HELP!! ASAP!!

Dr. Math,

HELP!! My math teacher was talking today about the surface area of figures.
I know about the area and how to find it, but I am confused about this. Am I
correct when I say to find the area of a triangular prism you add up all of the
sides of it?  Please reply. I have homework and a quiz tomorrow!! My Dad is as
lost as I am.

Thanks so much!!
                                       Lisa Day

Date: 9/18/95 at 22:37:29
From: Doctor Ken
Subject: Re: HELP!! ASAP!!

Hello!

Yes, you're correct, to find the total surface area for solid figures, you
can find the surface area of all the faces and then add them all together.
So for instance, to find the surface area of a cube with side length 3
inches, you'd find the surface area of each of the sides (9 square inches)
and then add them all together (for a total of 54 square inches).

So on a triangular prism, you'd do exactly what you said: find the surface
area of each of the faces, then add.

-Doctor Ken,  The Geometry Forum

Date: 9/19/95 at 19:47:10
From: barry

Dr. Ken (Geometry Forum)

Thanks! That helped A LOT! I feel much better about my quiz. When I
showed the printout of your letter to Mr. Lemley, my math teacher, he gave me
extra credit. THANKS!!
                                                Lisa Day

Associated Topics:
High School Geometry