Area of a Pentagonal Pyramid

Date: 11/16/95 at 21:21:35
From: class
Subject: Pentagonal pyramid

	I would like to know the area of a pentagonal pyramid.  The
dimensions of the sides of the base are 5cm ea. and the height is 23cm.

Thanks
Brad Hayes

Date: 11/19/95 at 14:32:51
From: Doctor Ethan
Subject: Re:  Pentagonal pyramid

You say that you are looking for the area of a pentagonal
pyramid.  Do you mean the surface area or do you really mean volume?  If
you mean volume you are going to have to us the formula for pyramids:

V = 1/3 (Area of the Base)*(Height)

If you are looking for the surface area, then you will need to figure
out the area of each of the faces.  (five triangles and then the bottom
pentagon).

I hope this helps.  If you already knew all this and were having
trouble figuring out the formulas, please write back to us.

-Doctor Ethan,  The Geometry Forum

Associated Topics:
High School Geometry
High School Higher-Dimensional Geometry