Proving the Pythagorean Theorem in Two Steps

Date: 1/29/96 at 22:30:25
From: John Vogler
Subject: More math stuff

Dear Dr. Math,

I was trying to prove Pythagorean Theorem for a friend of mine,
and eventually we figured it out.  But then he said that he heard
of a "proof in only six easy steps."  Do you know anything of this?

Thanks again,
Johnny Vogler

Date: 3/2/96 at 14:58:12
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: More math stuff

Hi there!  There are several proofs of the Pythagorean Theorem. I've
heard one of these described as a proof in two steps... You might want
to test that claim yourself.  The Geometry Forum's Problem of the Week
describes the setup at http://mathforum.org/pow/solutio33.html

Problem of the Week pages also include 2 other descriptions of the
Pythogorean Theorem: Euclid's proof (using a right triangle with squares
drawn on each of its sides, for a picture see
http://mathforum.org/pow/solution15.html    and President
Garfield's proof (diagram at
http://mathforum.org/pow/solutio29.html   .

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum