Pythagorean Theorem, Fermat's Last Theorem

Date: 5/16/96 at 11:52:4
From: Anonymous
Subject: Geometry

I have been challenged by a teacher to see if a cubed + b cubed = c
cubed.   We are doing the Pythagorean theorem.  My question is, can
the equation be done with 3 different numbers.  It might be a trick
question.  Thanks.

Date: 7/12/96 at 12:8:59
From: Doctor Beth
Subject: Re: Geometry

Hi!  If I understand correctly, you want to know if a^3 + b^3 = c^3
for 3 different positive integers (none of them 0).  This is a famous
theorem in mathematics, and it was proven about a year or so ago by
Andrew Wiles that it cannot be done.

Since you asked us this question, your teacher may have told you about
Fermat's Last Theorem (which Fermat never proved) that a^n + b^n = c^n
has no solutions of 3 distinct positive integers when n is also a
positive integer that's larger than 2.  Andrew Wiles' proof of this
theorem uses some really advanced mathematics that even most
professional mathematicians don't understand!

If you wanted integers to solve a^3 + b^3 = c^3 and didn't require
that they be positive, then you could let a = -1, b = 1 and c = 0.
You also know that there are lots of numbers that solve the equation
a^2 + b^2 = c^2, like a=3, b=4, and c=5, or also a = 5, b = 12, and
c = 13.

-Doctor Beth,  The Math Forum

High School Geometry
High School Number Theory