Moebius Strip

Date: 5/24/96 at 2:10:55
From: Phillip Brown
Subject: Moebius strip

I am writing concerning a question on a piece of homework. What would
happen if you cut a moebius strip in half lengthwise? Would you get
two pieces or would you just keep cutting forever?

Thanks :)

Date: 5/24/96 at 11:9:36
From: Doctor Ethan
Subject: Re: Moebius strip

Well, I am not going to tell you. I am going to go one better and
teach you how to find the answer.

Take a sheet of notebook paper and cut off a one-inch-wide lengthwise
strip. Then draw a line down the middle of the strip. Now bring the
ends together and tape them together with a half twist to make a
moebius strip.  Now simply cut along the line that you had previously
drawn. Then just see what you have.

-Doctor Ethan,  The Math Forum

High School Geometry
High School Higher-Dimensional Geometry