Stella Octangula

Date: 6/17/96 at 17:58:1
From: Anonymous
Subject: Name of a Polyhedron

I am taking a summer workshop entitled Kansas Middle Grades
Mathematics project whose focus this year is geometry and stats.
We were unable to obtain the name of the polyhedron that looks like
the union of two tetrahedrons joined at their bases.  Could you please
tell us what this polyhedron is called?

Thank you.

Date: 6/19/96 at 11:0:39
From: Doctor Chaos
Subject: Re: Name of a Polyhedron

Since the resulting figure has 6 faces, it can simply be called a
hexahedron. But so too is a cube!  I'm not sure if there is more that
you can say to specify it other than to say, possibly, it is a
trianglar hexahedron. A great book to have on the shelf is "Polyhedra
Primer" by Peter Pearce and Susan Pearce, Dale Seymour Publications,
ISBN 0-86651-419-8.

-Doctor Chaos,  The Math Forum

Date: 6/21/96 at 12:59:27
From: Doctor Jodi

Although this self-intersecting polyhedron is one of my favorite
shapes, I'd forgotten its name! I believe that it is called Kepler's
Stella Octangula.  You can find information by looking for Stella
Octangula under S in the CRC Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics:

  http://www.astro.virginia.edu/~eww6n/math/math.html

and there are pictures at

  http://www.li.net/~george/virtual-polyhedra/compounds-info.html

and at the top of the Math Forum Internet Mathematics Library:

  http://mathforum.org/library/

Key Curriculum Press also publishes a video and workbook about the
shape.

Good luck and let us know if you need any more help!

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

High School Geometry
High School Polyhedra