Ellipse Bounding A Rectangle

Date: 7/15/96 at 16:37:3
From: Anonymous
Subject: Ellipse Bounding A Rectangle

Dr. Math,

I have the four points for a rectangle (rect1): top, left, right and
bottom. I need to be able to calculate the rectangle bounding an
ellipse bounding my original rectangle (rect1). In other words, how do
I calculate an ellipse or an oval bounding or encompassing my original
rectangle (rect1) using my four points? Then once I have that ellipse,
how do I calculate its bounding rectangle and ultimately end up with a
new set of top, left, right and bottom coordinates? I am assuming
there will be at least two formulas.

Thanks a million squared.

Matthew Carl
The Carl Group, Inc.

Date: 7/15/96 at 17:26:1
From: Doctor Anthony
Subject: Re: Ellipse Bounding A Rectangle

If you have a rectangle, then there is no unique ellipse that can be
drawn to encompass it.  You could for example have a circle through
the four points, and any number of ellipses with major and minor axes
in either direction.  That being so, there would be no unique second
rectangle to be found which contained the ellipse.

-Doctor Anthony,  The Math Forum

High School Conic Sections/Circles
High School Geometry