Picture of Icosahedron

Date: 7/31/96 at 17:0:49
From: MR PETER   SOBOTKA
Subject: Picture of Icosahedron

We know that an icosahedron is a polyhedron with 20 equilateral
triangles as faces. We need to know what it looks like. Do you know
where we can find a picture? This is a summer enrichment project for
students at Springfield Elementary School in Jobstown, N.J.

Date: 7/31/96 at 17:58:8
From: Doctor Paul
Subject: Re: Picture of Icosahedron

Here are a couple of good pictures:

  http://mathforum.org/sum95/math_and/poly/reg_polyhedra.html

  http://www.teleport.com/~tpgettys/platonic.shtml

Now for the good stuff!

Check this out:

  http://www.inf.ethz.ch/department/TI/rm/icosahedra/index.html

This page is absolutely incredible!

If your Web browser supports VRML (Virtual Reality Modeling Language)
then you're in for a real treat!  Because these images have so many
sides, it's often hard to imagine what's on the back of the image.  If
you can support VRML then you can bring up the images and actually
rotate them about their central axis so you can see the back side.  I
really hope you can do this because it is so cool.  Here's where to
go:

  http://www.li.net/~george/virtual-polyhedra/stellations-icosahedron-index.html

Just click on any of the files and you're in business.
If your Web browser shows a message that it does not know what to do
with files of mime type x-world/x-vrml then read about how to set your
web browser to view virtual reality files here:

  http://www.li.net/~george/virtual-polyhedra/vrml-info.html

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards,

Doctor Paul,  The Math Forum