Volume of a Triangular Tank

Date: 8/5/96 at 0:46:31
From: Anonymous
Subject: Volume of a Triangular Tank

Dear Doc:

I am trying to find the volume of a triangular tank that measures
3'4" X 3'4" X 5' and measures 22" in height. I know how to find the
area of the triangle by applying "Heron's" formula, but the volume is
giving me some problems.

Thank you,

DWD

Date: 8/5/96 at 11:44:23
From: Doctor Anthony
Subject: Re: Volume of a Triangular Tank

The area of the triangle is easy to calculate either by Heron's
formula, or since this is an isosceles triangle by (1/2)*product of
two sides*sine of angle between those sides.  I get 5.512 ft^2.

Simply multiply by the height (in feet) to get volume = 10.105 ft^3

-Doctor Anthony,  The Math Forum

High School Geometry
High School Higher-Dimensional Geometry