Traceable Mathematical Curves

Date: 10/27/97 at 09:15:32
From: Anonymous
Subject: Traceable mathematical curves.. help!

Dear Dr. Math,

I am an eighth grader at Gilman School in Baltimore, Maryland. We are
studying Traceable Mathematical Curves. I was wondering - is there any
way to tell just by looking if a curve is traceable or not? Is there
some property of a curve that will tell you this?

Zachary Heaps

P.S. Do curves have formulas?

Date: 10/27/97 at 10:37:32
From: Doctor Rob
Subject: Re: Traceable mathematical curves.. help!

I am not quite sure what you mean by a traceable curve. Do you mean
that the curve can be drawn without lifting your pencil?

Most curves have formulas. Once you learn the Cartesian coordinate
system of plane geometry, you will learn that points are given by two
real numbers called the x-coordinate and the y-coordinate.  Most
curves are defined by an equation relating x and y to each other,
such as

   x^2 + y^2 = 100

which represents a circle. Some curves are given by telling what
x and y are in terms of another variable, say t, such as

   x = 10*(1-t^2)/(1+t^2)
   y = 10*(2*t)/(1+t^2)

which represents the same circle (this is not obvious, but true).

When you have and equation in x and y, as above, or one relating
x and y to another variable t, as above, the graph of the equation(s)
is the set of all pairs (x,y) which satisfy them. To be able to draw
the graph of the equation(s) without lifting your pencil, the graph
must not be able to be separated into two parts that are not connected
to each other.

An example of a curve for which this fails is the hyperbola x*y = 1.
There are solutions with both x and y positive, which form one
connected part, and there are solutions with both x and y negative,
which form a different connected part. These two parts are
disconnected from each other, however.

You may be asking whether one can tell from the equations whether the
graph of the equations is connected or not. If that is a correct
interpretation, the answer is that it is not easy to tell. For
example, the equation

   y^2 = x^3 - 3*x^2 + 2*x

has a disconnected graph, while the equation

   y^2 = x^3 - 3*x^2 + 3*x

(changing the last 2 to a 3) has a connected graph.

For polynomial equations of degree 2 in x and y, one can tell what
kind of curve they represent, and this gives you the answer. There are
several possibilities.  If you want information on this, write again
and ask.

I hope this helped.

-Doctor Rob,  The Math Forum

Date: 10/28/97 at 09:08:08
From: Anonymous

Dr. Math,

You are the man(or woman)! Thank you for taking the time to respond to
my question. The formulas are great and I even understand some of
them!

I am sorry that I was unclear about the traceable part of the
question. Our teacher said that he would give us 20 geometric figures
and we would have a short time to decide if they were traceable or
not. He said that you could just look at them and tell right away if
they could be traced. I have been working really hard and I can't
figure out how to tell this without tracing it with my eyes and this
takes a long time. Can you help with this part of the question or
direct me to some other place?

Thank you so much,
Zachary Heaps

Date: 10/28/97 at 10:23:22
From: Doctor Rob

Aha!  Probably the geometrical figures are going to be points
connected by lines. The lines can be straight or curved. The question
will be to trace the figure with your pencil without lifting the point
and without retracing any line in the figure. This is a common
problem, and you can tell by inspection whether or not this is
possible.

The first thing is to make sure the figure is connected, that is, you
can get from any part of the figure to any other part without lifting
the pencil.  That is easy to do by inspection.

The second thing is to look at each point and count how many lines end
at that point.  The reason this matters is as follows.

Think about a path tracing the figure. If the point is not the
beginning or end of the tracing path, whenever that path gets to a
point, it must leave it by a different line. This accounts for two
lines ending at that point. If the tracing path revisits the point,
there will be two more lines accounted for for each visit. In order to
be able to trace without retracing any line, all the points which are
not beginning or end points of the tracing path must have an even
number of lines ending there. If there are points with an odd number
of lines ending there, they must be the beginning and ending points of
the tracing path.

Thus there must be either zero or two points having an odd number of
lines ending there. If there are two, one is the beginning and one is
the end of the tracing path.  If there are zero, any point will do for
the beginning, and the path must end there.

If there are more than two points with an odd number of lines ending
there, no tracing path can exist. An example of that is the following
figure:

   O-----O-----O

The numbers of lines for the four points are 1, 1, 1, and 3, of which
four are odd, so no tracing path is possible. (I bet you knew that
anyway!)

Another example is:

       / \
      /   \
     /     \
    O-------O
    |\     /|
    | \   / |
    |  \ /  |
    |   X   |
    |  / \  |
    | /   \ |
    |/     \|
    O-------O

(X is not a point, just a crossing of two lines. The O's are the
points.) The numbers of lines for the five points are 2, 4, 4, 3,
and 3, of which two are odd, so a tracing path is possible. Just be
sure to start at one of the points where three lines meet, the bottom
corners.

One odd but helpful thing is that once you start at a good point, it
almost doesn't matter which way you go! Just don't retrace a line you
have already traced, and don't go to the end point until you have to,
and eventually you will have a tracing path. Try it - it's fun and
easy!

I hope that this is what you were talking about.

-Doctor Rob,  The Math Forum

High School Conic Sections/Circles
High School Definitions
High School Euclidean/Plane Geometry