Geometry of a Bicycle

Date: 11/30/97 at 15:53:55
From: Anonymous
Subject: Geometry of a bicycle

I'm working on a geometry project and it's about the geometry of a
bicycle. I have no idea where to start or how to go about showing
everything that's geometrical. If you could help me get started, it
would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sara

Date: 12/01/97 at 07:42:08
From: Doctor Jerry
Subject: Re: Geometry of a bicycle

Hi Sara,

Sounds like an interesting project. Here are some ideas:

1. Since the seat post is usually tilted, how much extra tube should
   be exposed in order to make the seat rise an additional two
   inches, as measured vertically from the ground?

2. How many times would the back wheel rotate if the bicycle were to
   go 1 mile?

3. If you know the radii of the front and back gear wheels and how far
   apart the centers of these wheels are, what length of chain is
   required? For this, you may wish to consider an idealized bicycle,
   avoiding complex gear/chain arrangements.

4. As seen by a stationary observer, what is the actual path traced by
   a pedal?

-Doctor Jerry,  The Math Forum

High School Euclidean/Plane Geometry
High School Geometry