The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Three-dimensional Counterparts for Two-dimensional Objects

Date: 03/04/98 at 19:28:57
From: Amy
Subject: Points-Lines-and Planes

I need to name a 2- or 3-dimensional counterpart for a line, a polygon, 
perpendicular lines, and collinear lines. How do I do this?

Date: 03/04/98 at 19:51:47
From: Doctor Sam
Subject: Re: Points-Lines-and Planes


Lines, polygons, perpendicular lines, and collinear lines are all 
terms that refer to things that you can draw on paper. I think you are 
asking for three-dimensional objects, or things that can exist in 

All of these terms make sense in space, in our world. A telephone wire 
looks like a line, a window looks like a polygon, etc. But there are 
also three-dimensional objects that cannot be drawn on a plane, like a 
box or a pyramid or an ice-cream cone.

Now a line is a straight flat object on paper. What might "correspond" 
to that in space? How about the flat wall of a building? Or the floor 
of a room? These are examples of planes.

Just as lines can be perpendicular or parallel when drawn on paper, so 
too can planes be parallel and perpendicular. Look around you (I 
assume you are inside a room right now). The walls, floor, and 
ceiling are parts of planes. Some of these planes are parallel and 
some are perpendicular.

What about collinearity? Points that lie on the same line are called 
collinear (the word actually means "same line"). Points (and lines and 
polygons) that lie in the same plane are called coplanar ("same 
plane"). Pictures hanging on the same wall of your room are coplanar 
rectangles. Pictures that hang on different walls are not coplanar.

Finally, what corresponds to polygons? A polygon is a closed figure 
made up of straight line segments. What kinds of objects can you name 
that are solids made up of segments of planes? A box is one example. 
Can you think of other shapes? All of these are called polyhedra 
(many-faced objects).

Does that help?

-Doctor Sam, The Math Forum
Check out our web site   
Associated Topics:
High School Euclidean/Plane Geometry
High School Geometry
High School Higher-Dimensional Geometry
Middle School Geometry
Middle School Higher-Dimensional Geometry
Middle School Two-Dimensional Geometry

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.