Pythagorean Theorem in Three Dimensions

Date: 05/18/2001 at 00:15:28
From: Erin Avery
Subject: Tetrahedron with trirectangular vertex Pythagorean proof

Suppose a tetrahedron has a trirectangular vertex S. Let A, B and C be
the areas of the 3 faces that meet at S, and D be the area of the face
opposite S. Prove that

     D^2 = A^2 + B^2 + C^2

(This is a three-dimensional version of the Pythagorean theorem.)

Date: 05/18/2001 at 08:55:09
From: Doctor Rick

Hi, Erin.

I haven't heard the term "trirectangular" before, but I can guess that
it means a vertex such that each of the three faces meeting at the
vertex has a right angle at the vertex. Thus we can place this
tetrahedron with S at the origin of a Cartesian coordinate system, and
the three edges meeting at S lie along the x-, y- and z-axes.

One way to prove the theorem follows these lines. I will take face A
to be in the y-z plane; B in the x-z plane; and C in the x-y plane.
The lengths of the edges along the three coordinate axes will be
called x, y and z.

Express the areas A, B, and C in terms of x, y and z. Now you can
express A^2 + B^2 + C^2 in terms of x, y and z.

Now you can find the lengths of the other three edges of the
tetrahedron in terms of x, y and z, using the Pythagorean theorem.
Finally, use Heron's formula for the area of a triangle in terms of
its sides, to get the area D; and show that this expression is equal
to the expression for A^2 + B^2 + C^2. You can find Heron's formula in
our Dr. Math FAQ (under Formulas), if you don't know it.

You might have trouble simplifying the area D. I suggest that you look
for a way to write Heron's formula in terms of the SQUARES of the
three sides; it can be done, using the factorization of a difference
of squares in reverse. Then you won't have to think at all about
square roots.

This is a nice theorem, isn't it? When you get such a simple result,
you wonder if it's necessary to go through this much algebra along the
way. Maybe there's a more elegant solution. Let us know if you learn
one.

- Doctor Rick, The Math Forum

High School Geometry
High School Polyhedra