Numerically Equal Volumes and Surface Areas

Date: 06/04/2001 at 18:35:02
From: Irene
Subject: Geometry

Find all rectangular solids with integral dimensions, the volumes and
surface areas of which are numerically equal.

Date: 06/06/2001 at 02:29:20
From: Doctor Greenie
Subject: Re: Geometry

Hi, Irene - that was a curious problem and I had fun with it!

Given a rectangular solid with length l, width w, and height h:

    volume = lwh
and
    total surface area = 2lw+2lh+2wh

You are looking for all integer triples (l,w,h) for which the volume
and surface area are numerically equal.

So you have

    lwh = 2lw+2lh+2wh

Solving this equation for l in terms of w and h:

    lwh-2lw-2lh = 2wh
    l(wh-2w-2h) = 2wh

and so we have

           2wh
    l = --------  (1)
        wh-2w-2h

In looking for integer triples (l,w,h) that satisfy this equation, we
can assume that h <= w <= l, because a 3x4x5 rectangular solid is
indistinguishable from a 5x3x4 or a 4x3x5 rectangular solid.  And of
course, h, w, and l are all positive integers.

Since I have decided to call my shortest dimension h, I will try
different integer values for h; for each choice of the value for h, I
will look for integer values of w that are greater than or equal to h
and for which equation (1) will give integer values of l greater than
or equal to w.

h=1: Equation (1) becomes

    l = 2w/(w-2w-2) = 2w/(-w-2)

In this expression, the denominator is always negative; so there are
no solutions with h=1.

h=2: Equation (1) becomes

    l = 4w/(2w-2w-4) = 4w/(-4)

In this expression the denominator is again always negative; so there
are no solutions with h=2.

h=3: Equation (1) becomes

    l = 6w/(3w-2w-6) = 6w/(w-6)

In this expression, the denominator is positive for values w>6; so we
can look for solutions with h=3 and w>6:

    h   w   l
   --------------------
    3   7   42/1 = 42
    3   8   48/2 = 24
    3   9   54/3 = 18
    3  10   60/4 = 15
    3  11   66/5 (not an integer)
    3  12   72/6 = 12

For larger values of w, l would be less than w; so there are no
further solutions with h=3.

h=4: Equation (1) becomes

    l = 8w/(4w-2w-8) = 8w/(2w-8)

In this expression, the denominator is positive for value w>4; so we
can look for solutions with h=4 and w>4:

    h   w   l
   --------------------
    4   5   40/2 = 20
    4   6   48/4 = 12
    4   7   56/6 (not an integer)
    4   8   64/8 = 8

For larger values of w, l would be less than w; so there are no
further solutions with h=4.

h=5: Equation (1) becomes

    l = 10w/(5w-2w-10) = 10w/(3w-10)

In this expression, the denominator is positive for value w>=4;
however, w>=h; so we can look for solutions with h=5 and w>=5:

    h   w   l
   --------------------
    5   5   50/5 = 10
    5   6   60/8 (not an integer)
    5   7   70/11 (not an integer)

For larger values of w, l would be less than w; so there are no
further solutions with h=5.

h=6: Equation (1) becomes

    l = 12w/(6w-2w-12) = 12w/(4w-12)

In this expression, the denominator is positive for value w>3;
however, w>=h; so we can look for solutions with h=3 and (since w>=h)
w >=6:

    h   w   l
   --------------------
    6   6   72/12 = 6

For larger values of w, l would be less than w; so there are no
further solutions with h=6.

There are no additional solutions with h>6. For h>6, and with w>=h,
equation (1) gives values of l which are less than w; but our
requirement is that l>=w.

So we have the following set of solutions (h,w,l) to this problem; and
this is the complete set of solutions:

    (3,7,42)
    (3,8,24)
    (3,9,18)