16-sided Regular Polygon

Date: 07/31/2001 at 18:18:06
From: Tiffany Travis
Subject: 16 sided regular polygon

I have tried to construct a 16-sided polygon, but my attempts have
been unsuccessful, and I don't know how to construct one.  If you
could help I would appreciate it.

Date: 08/01/2001 at 13:43:15
From: Doctor Jubal
Subject: Re: 16 sided regular polygon

Hi Tiffany,

Thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

There's a straightforward way to construct any regular polygon whose
number of sides is a power of two (square, octagon, 16-gon, etc...)

We'll start with a pair of perpendicular lines. Let's call the point
where they intersect point P. If you draw a circle centered at P, the
four points where that circle intersects the two perpendicular lines
are the corners of a square.

The two perpendicular lines form four 90-degree angles at P. If you
bisect all those angles, you'll have eight 45-degree angles at P, and
the eight points where the circle centered at P intersects the
original lines and the angle bisectors are the vertices of a regular

You can repeat the process, bisecting the 45-degree angles to make
sixteen 22.5-degree angles, and the sixteen points where the circle at
P intersects the two original lines or any of the angle bisectors are
the vertices of a regular 16-gon.

You can make 32-gons, 64-gons, or any regular 2^n-gon in the same
fashion. All you need is a consruction to bisect an angle.

I searched the Dr. Math archives using the keywords

  construct angle bisector (all, any order)

and found the page

   Geometry Constructions with Compass and Straightedge

It contains instructions for bisecting an angle with compass and
straightedge, complete with illustrations. Using that method, you
should be able to construct any regular 2^n-gon you like.

As a generalization, we started with a square inscribed in a circle
and kept bisecting the angles at the center of the circle to make a
regular octagon, 16-gon, etc. If you start with an equilateral
triangle inscribed in a circle, you can use the same method to
construct a regular hexagon, dodecagon, 24-gon, etc., and if you start
with a pentagon inscribed in a circle, you can use it to construct a
regular decagon, 20-gon, 40-gon, etc. Using this method, if you can
construct a regular n-gon, you can construct a regular (2^k)*n-gon.

Does this help? Write back if you'd like to talk about this some

- Doctor Jubal, The Math Forum
Associated Topics:
High School Constructions
High School Geometry