Area of an Annulus

Date: 10/13/2001 at 23:15:14
From: Cindy
Subject: Geometry

I wanted to know how you would find the area of an annulus.

Date: 10/14/2001 at 12:54:18
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Geometry

Hi Cindy - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

A ring, or annulus, with outer radius x and inner radius y, has area

   pi(x^2 - y^2)

And see #15 at

   Circumference and Area of Circles, Part I - ICSE. Maths

(the answers are at the bottom of the page).

- Doctor Sarah, The Math Forum
Associated Topics:
High School Conic Sections/Circles
High School Geometry