Finding the Dimensions of a Box

Date: 10/21/2001 at 18:26:20
From: Kaila
Subject: Finding the demensions of a box

You want to construct a cardboard box from a cardboard strip that is
8 inches wide. The dimensions of the box are 8 inches by 8 inches by
4 inches. How long does the strip need to be?

I tried to find the answer by saying 8x8+4+4 and I got 40, but none of
my friends or family can help me and I'm not sure if I'm right.

Date: 10/22/2001 at 11:43:17
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: Finding the demensions of a box

Hi Kaila,

Get out a cereal box, and note that it has three pairs of sides,

  two sides with dimensions length * width

  two sides with dimensions length * height

  two sides with dimensions width * height

In your case, length = 8, width = 8, and height = 4.  So we can draw
those sides:

  +---------+
  |   8     |
  |        8|  length * width
  |         |
  |         |
  +---------+

  +---------+
  |   8     |
  |        8|  length * width
  |         |
  |         |
  +---------+

  +---------+
  |   8     |
  |        4|  length * height
  +---------+

  +---------+
  |   8     |
  |        4|  length * height
  +---------+

  +---------+
  |   8     |
  |        4|  width * height
  +---------+

  +---------+
  |        4|  width * height

If you put all the sides together, you can make a strip of cardboard 8
inches wide... and how long?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum

High School Geometry
High School Polyhedra