Equable Polygons

Date: 10/29/2001 at 11:33:09
From: Liz Ely
Subject: Equable polygons

I am currently doing a piece of coursework on equable shapes and I
have to find a formula for finding equable polygons. I have noted the
formula 4/tan(90-180/n), but how do you get to this point? Where is
the correlation and how would you go about finding the answer to this
question? what I mean to say is I have the question and the answer but
no reasoning. Help, please!

Date: 10/29/2001 at 12:29:24
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Equable polygons

Hi, Liz.

Did you find that formula by searching our archives? If so, you should
have found several other answers that tell HOW to get this sort of
formula. Try going to our search page

    http://mathforum.org/mathgrepform.html

and entering "equable" to see what we've said. You'll have to do some
work to get it, which is why I suggest starting out with simpler cases
to get a feel for how it works. Try finding the side of an equable
square first.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 10/29/2001 at 13:54:12
From: Liz Ely

Hi -

Thank you for answering my question, but I have already done as you
suggest; in fact I have nearly finished my coursework - it is just the
way to get to the formula ( 4/tan(90-180/n)) that puzzles me. I have
completed square - triangle - circle - hexagon - pentagon - even most
3d shapes, but I am stuck on how to connect all the regular polygons
with the formula and how I could find the formula myself, without
saying that I have simply found it on the Internet.

Date: 10/29/2001 at 14:30:29
From: Doctor Peterson

I wish you had shown me how you tried to find this formula for the
polygon; it sounds as if you know what to do, so you must have become
stuck at some point in doing the algebra or trigonometry. I'm trying
to guide you through finding the formula yourself, but I need to see
just where you need help.

I'll assume you found the formulas for the area and perimeter of a
regular polygon here:

   Regular Polygon Formulas - Dr. Math FAQ
   http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/formulas/faq.regpoly.html

Use these formulas from that page, giving perimeter and area in terms
of side length a and number of sides n, together with angle alpha,
which is equal to 360/n degrees:

   P = na
   K = na^2 cot(alpha/2)/4

Now set P = K and solve for n. That's all you have to do!

The formula on that page has a rather odd form, which the author must
have obtained using a somewhat different starting point. You can
simplify it to get a nicer formula that you can more easily compare
with whatever you get. Just note that tan(90-x) = cot(x), and that
cot(x) = 1/tan(x).

Date: 04/14/2002 at 17:15:08
From: Mike
Subject: Why use 4 in equable shape formula

Your equable shape formula:

   4/tan(90-180/n)

doesn't say why you used the number 4 in the formula. I understand
the rest of the formula but I just don't understand why 4 works. Why
not 2 or 3 ?

Mike

Date: 04/14/2002 at 17:50:41
From: Doctor Schwa
Subject: Re: Why use 4 in equable shape formula

Hi Mike,

An n-sided polygon of side length a has a perimeter of na.
Its area is n * the area of each triangle made by connecting the
center to two adjacent vertices.
The base of each such triangle is a.
The height is found by using tan(360/(2n)) = (a/2) / height, so
height = (a/2) / tan(180/n).

So the area is n * (1/2) * (a) * (a/2) / tan(180/n).
Setting those equal gives na = na^2 / (4 tan (180/n)), so
a = 4 * tan(180/n).

So the 4 comes from 2*2: one of the 2s is the 1/2 in the formula for
the area of a triangle, and the other 2 is because the side of the
polygon gets cut in half when you're making a right triangle to find
the height.

Finally note that tan(90-x) = 1/tan(x), if you want to convert
the formula into that slightly strange form in the above answer.

- Doctor Schwa, The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
High School Euclidean/Plane Geometry
High School Geometry