A Statement to Save a Life

Date: 05/28/97 at 12:17:43
From: Ray
Subject: How can this man save his life?

A man is lost in a forest and is trying to find his way out when he is
found by a group of cannibals. The cannibals take him to their village
and tell him that he can make one statement that will determine how he
will die.  They tell him that if he tells a lie, he will die by poison
and that if he tells the truth he will die by the bullet.  What
statement will save his life?

Date: 05/29/97 at 19:14:41
From: Doctor Keith
Subject: Re: How can this man save his life?

Dear Ray,

Fun problem!

We can write down our information in table form:

     Statement is    |   Death by
    =================|============
       True          |   bullet
    -----------------|------------
       False         |   poison

We need to find a statement that will make their statement wrong if
they carry it out.  Then presuming they are honorable, they cannot act
(i.e., kill the traveller).

It sounds good, but what does it mean? Well, we need to make our
statement false if the man dies by a bullet and true if the man dies
by poison. So the man tries the following:

   "You will kill me by poison."

Then let's see what happens. We have two cases to consider:

1) They shoot him. Then his statement was false, so if they were
   honorable, they would have poisoned him, so they cannot shoot
   him and be true to their word.

2) They poison him, thus he said a true statement and should have
   been shot. Thus to poison him goes against their word, and they
   cannot do it.

Thus they must let him live!  So we have a statement that works.

Of course we are assuming that the cannibals are all-knowing,
otherwise a statement like "My mother's name is Jen" would be a
problem. In theory, your typical cannibal does not know the man's
mother's name, so the validity of the statement is unknown. Thus to
act could violate the cannibals word, and they supposedly won't do
that.

This brings up the whole area of unanswerable questions and statements
that are not true or false. The command, "Eat your lunch" is neither
true nor false in any circumstance, so what do they do?  This
situation is not defined in the problem. Of course they could get
tricky and poison the bullet to handle this. Why do I mention all
this?  Well there is an obvious best answer:

   "You will kill me by poison."

But even given what seems a completely stated problem with a best
answer, there are special cases where things fall apart. This is true
in many areas of math and life in general and you just want to be on
the lookout for how things can fail. In other words, when you first
see a problem, read carefully and try to see whether something has not
been stated clearly enough or where the problem lies.  Also note there
is often ambiguity going from English (or any language) to math, and
many problems like this come up from these issues.

If these type of problems interest you, I suggest you look into what
is called logic. I used an arguement in mathematical logic to get the
best answer and to test it out. There are many great problems like
this one out there so you can have lots of fun and develop very
practical skills for later life.

If any of this is confusing let me know which part and I will clarify
it.  Hope all of this helps.

-Doctor Keith,  The Math Forum

High School Logic