Social Insurance Number

Date: 7/3/96 at 11:40:52
From: Anonymous
Subject: Social Insurance Number

Make a valid Social Insurance Number that has 8 as its check digit.

Date: 7/3/96 at 23:13:36
From: Doctor Mike
Subject: Re: Social Insurance Number

Hello,

Revenue Canada's Internet Service publishes the SIN formula in

  http://www.rc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4028ed/t4028ed.html

 as follows:
======
Information for Magnetic Media Filers
1995 - Computer Specifications for Data Filed on Magnetic Media

-  Invalid or missing social insurance numbers cause processing
   delays. Included below is the formula we use to validate
   this number.

Example
Employee's social insurance number (SIN): 550 911 895

Formula:                                  Assigned Digits

                                  Digits                  Check
                                                          digit
Recipient's SIN
(Exclude the check digit,
position 9, from calculation) 5  5  0  9  1  1  8  9          5
                                                             ==
                                 5     9     1     9
Multiply every second digit
   by 2                         x2    x2    x2    x2
                                --    --    --    --
                                10    18     2    18

Cross add the resulting digits (1 + 0 + 1 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 8) = 21

Cross add the intervening digits (5 + 0 + 1 + 8)           = 14
                                                             --
Total                                                        35

Subtract from the next highest number ending in zero         40
                                                             --
Check digit (i.e., 40 - 35 = 5)                               5
======

-Doctor Mike,  The Math Forum