Identical/Non-identical Groups; Derangements

Date: 03/10/2000 at 04:54:27
From: Shweta Kala
Subject: Permutations and Combinations

Sir,

I was not able to understand the following:

1) The number of ways of dividing mp things into m identical groups of
   p things each

     = (mp)!/[(m!)(p!)^m]

2) The number of ways of dividing mp things into m different,
   non-identical groups of p things each

     = (mp)!/(p!)^m

3) Derangements: If n things are arranged in a row, the number of ways
   in which they can be deranged so that no one of them occupies its
   original place

     = n!(1 - 1/1! + 1/2! - 1/3! + ... + (-1)^n.1/n!)

Why is there a different formula for derangements? Why isn't it

      = P(n,n) - 1

After all, it is the number of arrangements of n things except the
original arrangement.

Kindly help me with this. Thank you,
Shweta Kala

Date: 03/10/2000 at 07:23:04
From: Doctor Anthony
Subject: Re: Permutations and Combinations

1) In this situation the 'containers' of the groups are
   indistinguishable, so you could swap the complete groups around in
   m! ways without giving rise to a different combination. An example
   would be putting p people into car(1), p people into identical
   car(2), p people into identical car(3) and so on. We are only
   concerned with the groups of people, and NOT worried about which
   car they are in.

2) Here the 'containers' of the groups are different, e.g. you may be
   putting p people into one house, another p people into a local
   hotel, another p people into tents, and so on.

3) Derangements: P(n,n) = n! and (n! - 1)  would allow many of the
   n objects to be in their original positions. For a derangement we
   require EVERY single object to be in a different position from
   where it was in the first arrangement.

   A typical problem is that of the careless secretary who puts
   letters at random into envelopes. We require the probability that
   EVERY letter goes to a wrong address. For an explanation of this
   problem, see:

   Letters and Envelopes and the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle
   http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/jarrad03.27.99.html

- Doctor Anthony, The Math Forum