Baseball Batting Orders

Date: 10/14/2001 at 18:27:28
From: Erica
Subject: Word problem!

How many possible batting orders are there for a team of nine players?
I have no clue how to even start figuring this out. Please help!

Date: 10/15/2001 at 15:19:12
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: Word problem!

Hi Erica,

Often when a problem seems too big to tackle, you can make some
progress by considering a smaller problem.

Suppose there is only 1 player (a). Then there is only 1 possible
order, right?

What if we add a second player (b)? He could go either before or after
a, right?

  a -> ba

So there are two possible orders for two players. What if we add a
third player (c)? He could go in any position in any of the orders we
already had:

  a -> ba -> cba
       ab -> cab

So now we have 1*2*3 different orders. Let's try it for one more
player (d):

  a -> ba -> cba -> dcba
             bca -> dbca
             bac -> [4 more orders]
       ab -> cab -> [4 more orders]
             acb -> [4 more orders]
             abc -> [4 more orders]

Now we have 1*2*3*4 different orders.

It looks as if when we add the n'th player, we multiply the number of
possible orders by n (because there are n possible changes to each of
the orders we had before). So if we keep going until we have 9
players, how many possible orders would we have?

Does this help?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum