Angle for maximum height using water stream

Date: Wed Dec 07 15:04:46 1994
From: 12 tmu
Subject: angle for maximum height using water stream

I am trying to investigate the relationship between the angle a hose
would have to be positioned in order to maximize the height of the
stream of water of constant pressure. Contact me at Westminster
High School, Westminster, CA (714)893-1381,  Jerry White.

Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 23:15:21 -0500 (EST)
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: angle for maximum height using water stream

Hello there!

Nice problem!  This question basically boils down to vector algebra, the
way I see it.  See, when you send a projectile flying, its motion has a
horizontal component and a vertical component.  For instance, it might start
out with a vertical velocity of 6 meters per second and a horizontal
velocity of 3 meters per second (how fast would this stream of water really
be moving?).

The horizontal component of the velocity won't change as the projectile
moves along its path.  But the vertical velocity will be affected by
gravity, and the velocity will change at the rate of about 9.8 meters per
second per second.  The actual numbers aren't important, though, if you just
want to find out the angle to hold the hose at.

See, you want to maximize the vertical component of the velocity, so point
the hose straight upward.  That way, the water will have the greatest
vertical velocity, and it will go the farthest up before it gets dragged
back down by gravity.

I hope this helps you.

-Ken "Dr." Math

Associated Topics: