Acceleration

Date: 9/12/96 at 22:7:56
From: Anonymous
Subject: Acceleration of More Massive Object

A 10-kg object accelerates at 60 meters per second squared.
What would be the acceleration of a 30-kg object?

Date: 9/12/96 at 23:14:57
From: Doctor Robert
Subject: Re: Acceleration of More Massive Object

In order to calculate the acceleration of a body you have to know two
things: the net force acting on the body and the mass of the body.
The acceleration is then calculated using the formula a=F/m  So, if
your 10 kg object accelerates at 60 m/sec^2, the force must be 600
newtons. Your question cannot be answered unless I know the force
acting on the 30-kg body. If you assume that the same force acts on
both bodies, then the acceleration is 20 m/sec^2.

-Doctor Robert,  The Math Forum

High School Physics/Chemistry