Integral of a Polynomial

Date: 7/15/96 at 8:50:45
From: COMPAQ PRESARIO 9240
Subject: Integral of a Polynomial

Find the integral of (5x-1) to the power of 6. I just forgot how to do
it!

Date: 7/15/96 at 9:50:17
From: Doctor Paul
Subject: Re: Integral of a Polynomial

You want this I believe:
                                 /
                                |           6
                                |  (5 x - 1)  dx

                               /

Let's recall the rule for integrating polynomials.  Add one to the
exponent, divide by the new exponent, and then divide by the
derivitive of the integrand.  Don't forget the constant of
integration. Here we go:

                                            7
                       (1/7)*(1/5)*(5 x - 1)  + C

and that simplifies to:

                                            7
                              1/35 (5 x - 1)  + C

The good thing about integration is that we can check our answer and
make sure that the derivative of our answer is what we started with.
Let's do that:

             6
7/35 (5 x -1) (5)

that simplifies to:

             6
     (5 x -1)

And that's what you started with so we know our answer is right.

-Doctor Paul,  The Math Forum

High School Polynomials