The Probability of Outcomes

Date: 20 Feb 1995 10:03:29 -0500
From: Anonymous
Subject: Probability

Hi,

Could you help with this problem?

In the sample space for a probability experiment, outcome A is twice
as likely as outcome B. Outcome C is two-thirds as likely as outcome B.
Outcome C is twice as outcome D.  Find the probability of each outcome
in the sample space.

Sample Space   {A,   B,   C,  D}
Probability     |    |    |   |

Any consideration given this request will be appreciated.

BilFred439@aol.com

Date: 20 Feb 1995 10:40:34 -0500
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: Probability

Hello there!

If the four outcomes, A, B, C, and D are the only possible outcomes for
the experiment, then we can do this problem.  Let's call the probability
of outcome D by the letter, d.  Then we have c=2d, c=2b/3 so b=3d, and
a=2b so a=6d.  Because the sum of the probabilities of all the different
outcomes must be 1, we have a+b+c+d=6d+3d+2d+d=12d=1, d=1/12.  Thus,
we can plug this value back into the expressions we got for a in terms of
d, b in terms of d, and c in terms of d, to find out what the individual
probabilities are.

I hope this helps!

-Ken "Dr." Math

Associated Topics: