Odds of Identical Numbers

Date: 7/1/96 at 23:3:50
From: Anonymous
Subject: Determine Odds

For example, how to figure the odds of rolling the identical number on
six dice, in one roll.

Also, is there one formula for determining all odds?

Thanking you in advance,

Courtney Smith

Date: 9/10/96 at 15:9:12
From: Doctor Luat
Subject: Re: Determine Odds

I am not sure what you are looking for, but here is what I have to
offer. We need two things to calculate the probability of something
that is going to happen.  The first is the number of ALL possible
outcomes of what ever we set up.  And second is the number of
occurrences that will come out as the  result of our restriction.

For example, the six dice rolled.  The number of all possible
outcomes  from rolling six dice is 6^6.  That's because there are 6
possibilities for the first die, 6 for the second, and so on.  So we
multiply, and the number of possibilities is 6*6*6*6*6*6 = 6^6.

There are six different ways the dice will be identical... all
1,2,3,4,5 or 6.  Thus the probability of rolling six identical numbers
at once is 6/(6^6) = 1/(6^5) = 1 in 46656.

-Doctor Luat,  The Math Forum

High School Probability