The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math


Date: 04/02/97 at 18:56:11
From: Ravi Patel
Subject: Pantograph


If you have any information on the pantograph, I would appreciate it 
if you could send it to me.  

Thank you.

Date: 05/03/97 at 17:44:07
From: Doctor Bill
Subject: Re: Pantograph

Dear Ravi,

In the Mathematics Dictionary published by Van Nostrand Reinhold 
Company, and also in Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, they define 
a pantograph and also have illustrations.

A pantograph is an instrument that can be used to copy line drawings 
or other pictures, enlarging or reducing them in the process.

Using a searcher you can find sites on the Web about pantographs:

  How to make a pantograph:   
  The Reproducing Pantograph - J. Jacobsen   
  Large version of the Pantograph   

  Grove Dictionary of Art   

And see Richard Feynman's classic 1959 talk, "There's Plenty of Room at 
the Bottom - An Invitation to Enter a New Field of Physics" (reference to 
pantographs is well into the talk, so persevere).   

-Doctors Bill and Sarah,  The Math Forum
 Check out our web site!   
Associated Topics:
High School Projects

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.