Bananas by Camelback

Date: 12 Feb 1995 06:21:53 -0500
From: Arlina Tseng
Subject: Camel problem

Corey the camel needs to travel 1000 miles to the nearest
city.  She has 3000 bananas but can only carry 1000 at a time.
For every mile she walks she needs to eat a banana.
What is the maximum number of bananas she can get across
to the city?

You may have to use power series for this one.  Write back
if you can beat 533.33 bananas.

Bye,
Arlina

Date: 14 Feb 1995 15:02:28 -0500
From: Dr. Ethan
Subject: Re: Camel problem

Howdy Arlina,

I have been playing with it in my head and I can't beat 533.33 yet,
but I am getting ready to get out a pencil and paper.  If I or
one of the other doctors can beat 533.33, we will get back
to you.

For a similar question with a more comprehensive answer, see "Monkeys in the Jungle":

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/berkman.11.18.96.html

-Doctor Ethan,  The Math Forum

High School Puzzles