Traveling Salesman Problem

Date: 12/3/95 at 12:36:58
From: Anonymous
Subject: Minimum distance between random dots

  Find a procedure that describes how to find the minimum distance
between any 15 randomly placed dots.

Date: 12/3/95 at 13:23:42
From: Doctor Ken
Subject: Re: Minimum distance between random dots

Hello!

I believe that what you're talking about is known in mathematical
circles as the "Traveling Salesman Problem."  I did a Lycos search on
the World Wide  Web on the keywords "traveling sales problem," and these
are a couple of links it turned up:

http://mat.gsia.cmu.edu/GROUP94/0699.html
http://mat.gsia.cmu.edu/GROUP94/0703.html

They are different algorithms (procedures) for solving it.  Good luck!

-Doctor Ken,  The Geometry Forum

Associated Topics:
High School Puzzles