Magic Star Puzzle

Date: 9/2/96 at 3:46:0
From: Warren McGillivray
Subject: star puzzle

I am in 7th grade and need help with my first homework assignment.  I
have a star puzzle. The star is shaped like 2 triangles.  There are
circles at each intersection and the points of the star.  There are 4
circles in each row.  We have to use the integers 1 to 12 and the sum
of each row must be the same.  I have worked on it since Friday and my
parents have tried to help too.  Can you help me?  CM

Date: 9/2/96 at 8:38:7
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: star puzzle

Hi CM -

The Math Forum has a Web unit on Magic Squares by Forum Teacher
Associate Suzanne Alejandre, within which there are some "Magic Star"
pages by Japanese Professor Mutsumi Suzuki. See:

 http://mathforum.org/alejandre/magic.star/magic.star.html

The Magic Square Web unit is at

 http://mathforum.org/alejandre/magic.square.html

People love to think about the math in these historical 'puzzles'
and you'll find many explanations of the math involved in
these pages.

Good luck with your homework!

-Doctor Sarah,  The Math Forum

Date: 9/2/96 at 17:21:28
From: Warren McGillivray
Subject: thank you

Dear Dr. Math,

Thank you for your help and the Magic Star site!  How did you figure
it out?

CM

Date: 9/2/96 at 17:48:30
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: thank you

Hi -

Those 'Stars of David' were contributed by a Japanese professor,
Mutsumi Suzuki, who came up with eighteen of them while traveling
home on the Shin-Kan-Sen (Japanese bullet train).  Later he found a
1992 book (in Japanese) about magic squares by a high school teacher
named Kiyomi Omori that mentions magic stars and inspired him to work
out two more of them.

-Doctor Sarah,  The Math Forum

High School Puzzles
Middle School Puzzles