Magic Star Puzzle

Date: 9/2/96 at 3:46:0
From: Warren McGillivray
Subject: star puzzle

I am in 7th grade and need help with my first homework assignment.  I
have a star puzzle. The star is shaped like 2 triangles.  There are
circles at each intersection and the points of the star.  There are 4
circles in each row.  We have to use the integers 1 to 12 and the sum
of each row must be the same.  I have worked on it since Friday and my
parents have tried to help too.  Can you help me?  CM

Date: 9/2/96 at 8:38:7
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: star puzzle

Hi CM -

The Math Forum has a Web unit on Magic Squares by Forum Teacher
Associate Suzanne Alejandre, within which there are some "Magic Star"
pages by Japanese Professor Mutsumi Suzuki. See:

The Magic Square Web unit is at

People love to think about the math in these historical 'puzzles'
and you'll find many explanations of the math involved in
these pages.

Good luck with your homework!

-Doctor Sarah,  The Math Forum

Date: 9/2/96 at 17:21:28
From: Warren McGillivray
Subject: thank you

Dear Dr. Math,

Thank you for your help and the Magic Star site!  How did you figure
it out?

Date: 9/2/96 at 17:48:30
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: thank you

Hi -

Those 'Stars of David' were contributed by a Japanese professor,
Mutsumi Suzuki, who came up with eighteen of them while traveling
home on the Shin-Kan-Sen (Japanese bullet train).  Later he found a
1992 book (in Japanese) about magic squares by a high school teacher
named Kiyomi Omori that mentions magic stars and inspired him to work
out two more of them.

-Doctor Sarah,  The Math Forum
High School Puzzles
Middle School Puzzles