Multiply Two Numbers (No Zeros) to make 5 Billion

Date: 01/05/2002 at 10:45:06
From: Jessica
Subject: Very big problem.

Dr. Math,

I am doing a 7th grade scavenger hunt for math. I have done almost
everything except one problem, which is as follows:

What two numbers - neither of them containing zeros - can be
multiplied together to make 5,000,000,000?

I have tried everything, but I always come up with a zero in the
answer. Please help me.

Date: 01/05/2002 at 17:09:00
From: Doctor Jaffee
Subject: Re: Very big problem.

Hi Jessica,

Here's a suggestion. Factor your number completely. When you are
finished, you will have nothing but 2's and 5's. Multiply all of the
2's together, then multiply all of the 5's together. You now have two
numbers that satisfy the requirements of the problem.

Give it a try and if you want to check your solution with me, write
back. If you are having difficulties, let me know and show me what you
have done so far, and I'll try to help you some more.

Good luck.

- Doctor Jaffee, The Math Forum

High School Puzzles
Middle School Puzzles