Taylor series

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 94 11:23:15 EST
From: Brian Sledd
Subject: Taylor series

Dr. Math,

Please describe the Taylor series. Try to make it as simple as
possible...

   Brian

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 20:46:52 -0500 (EST)
From: Dr. Ethan
Subject: Re: Taylor series

Hi Brian,

Essentially the idea behind Taylor series is that if two
functions have the same value at a point and all of their
derivatives are equal as well, at that point essentially the
two equations are equal. This is not an absolute but for most
functions this is the case.  So given a nasty equation we can
come up with a polynomial that has the same first second third
fourth .... derivative and therefore is a very good
approximation.

     I hope that sheds some light on the topic.  If you want
more, write back and we'll try to give you some more.

-Doctor Ethan,  The Math Forum

High School Sequences, Series