Famous Math Problems

Date: 6/27/96 at 19:41:6
From: Juli E. Fink
Subject: Famous Math Problems

Dear Dr. Math,
I need a listing of famous math problems for a math project.  I have
looked through the Internet and have not been successful.  Can you
help me?

Date: 6/27/96 at 20:3:10
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Famous Math Problems

Hi Juli -

Take a look at the sci.math FAQ:

It lists the following as Famous Problems in Mathematics:
       The Four Colour Theorem
       The Trisection of an Angle
       Which are the 23 Hilbert Problems?
       Unsolved Problems

and includes other items that may be useful for your project, such as
the current status of Fermat's Last Theorem.

You might also find good information in the UTK Mathematical Archives
under Numbers at

and we encourage you to browse the Math Forum's pages of math problems
and puzzles:

Does this help?

-Doctor Sarah,  The Math Forum
Middle School History/Biography