Math and Science Fair Project Ideas

Date: 7/3/96 at 14:30:4
From: Megan Barth
Subject: Science Fair Project Ideas

Dear Dr. Math,

Do you have any suggestions about a Science Fair project in the math
category?  I was thinking of doing the probability of getting a
certain prize in a cereal box or in the McDonalds Monopoly Game.  I
have  looked in the Dr. Math archives and many other places.

Thank you,
            Megan or DaMariner

Date: 7/4/96 at 0:11:19
From: Doctor Mike
Subject: Re: Science Fair Project Ideas

Dear Megan and all,

There are more mathematics project ideas than you can shake a stick at
in the excellent book MATH PROJECTS FOR YOUNG SCIENTISTS (Franklin
Watts, 1988) by David A. Thomas.  It is about 125 pages long and comes
both in hard cover and paperback.  Your ideas sound good, too.  Most
important is to find something so fascinating that you can't wait to
get back to it!

Speaking of how many project ideas you can shake a stick at, one idea
for a project would be to investigate just how many that is.  Of
course we are talking about really really big numbers here, but that
IS the idea. The subject of big numbers gets you to a lot of
interesting ideas, like what is a GOOGOLPLEX and why it is called
that, how many grains of sand (approximately!) could fit into a sphere
the size of the earth, or why there are more prime numbers than any
particular number.

I hope this helps.

-Doctor Mike,  The Math Forum