Math Anxiety

Date: 04/04/97 at 00:55:06
From: Melanie Salas
Subject: Math Anxiety

I have been assigned a research project about math anxiety and started
my search on the 'net when I came across your page.  Could you
possibly give me some information about this and/or where in the 'net
I might be able to find a web site devoted to this?

Date: 04/04/97 at 03:10:53
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Math Anxiety

Hi Melanie -

I tried searching using Altavista  (http://altavista.digital.com/    )
for the words   math anxiety  and found a good number of references.
Here's one with some information and a couple of books:

Math Anxiety

  http://www.sdsc.edu/~woodka/anxiety.html

A number of books have been written to help kids and parents in
overcoming anxiety about mathematics. Many times parents pass along
their own fears about math to children inadvertently. This review
comes from the "Daily Report Card" for Nov 13, 1995. The Daily Report
Card is a service of the Education Commission of the States and the
National Education Goals Panel.

READING ABOUT MATH: CAN BEAT MATH ANXIETY A new series
of read-aloud books is designed to beat the "I-hate-math" syndrome by
having parents read about math to their young children (Innerst, WASH
TIMES, 11/7). "I'm trying to change how people look at math," said
Marilyn Burns, a former teacher who teamed up with Scholastic, Inc.,
to publish the series called "Hello Math Reader."

According to Burns, parents often are to blame for their children's
fear of math. "Don't complain about math in front of your kids," she
cautions. "Fear of math is inherited." Burns observes that it is
generally accepted that reading out loud to children benefits their
language abilities, but few think of reading in connection with math
skills. She recommends that parents "nip in the bud" early fears of
math by "engaging in 'math time' reading and other activities," writes
the paper.

The colorfully illustrated series beings with "Monster Math," for
preschool and first grade. The TIMES describes the book's first story:
"Twelve little monsters wake up at seven. One jogs away. There are
..." Suggested activities are described at the end of the book, and
focus on relationships such as one fewer and one more.

Physical properties such as size and weight are the focus of the next
level book "Slower Than a Snail," designed for kindergarten to second
A grade. "Quarter from the Tooth Fairy," is the first- and second-
grade book, which talks about money. Second and third-grade students
are the target for "How Much is That Guinea Pig in the Window?" which
is about a class that earns $50 to buy a pet.

Burns is a promoter of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
curriculum guidelines "that place less importance on paper-and-pencil
drill and more on numbers sense," writes the paper. The TIMES adds
that the guidelines also stress "talking and writing about problem-
solving strategies rather than focusing on answers per se."

Books about overcoming anxiety about mathematics

1. _Overcoming Math Anxiety_ by Sheila Tobias, Houghton-Mifflin, 1978
Although the title suggests that it is a self-help book it more is a
description on what math anxiety is, and why it occurs. The book
contains some ideas about why high school aged students might develop
math anxiety.

2. _Mastering Mathematics: How to be a Great Math Student_ by Richard
Manning Smith, Wadsworth Publishing, 1991 This book is written
primarily for community college students, but may be useful for high
school students as well. The author has many ideas about what causes
poor performance in math classes and how to combat it. One such idea
is that students who are ill-prepared for a test are more likely to
get mental blocks on tests.

You might also want to look for people to write to for information.
Example: http://calculus.math.pitt.edu/~bkm/bkmhomepage.html    - home
page of Beverly K. Michael, Ph.D., Univ. of Pittsburgh, whose "Areas
of Interest include: Pre-calculus mathematics, Math anxiety,
Technology in mathematics, Graphing Calculators, Calculus Reform,
Explorations of real world data in College Algbebra, Distance Learning
of Calculus." E-mail Address: bkm+@pitt.edu

OR

Cheryl A. Leech, Lecturer; E-Mail cal3@email.psu.edu
M.A., University of Pittsburgh, 1989. Teaching Specialties: General
Mathematics.  Research Interests: Mathematics Education, Math Anxiety
Reduction workshops, Textbook Supplemental Writing.

There are hundreds of sites with references to math anxiety to look at
if you use Altavista, but I don't find one devoted entirely to that
subject.

Does this help?

-Doctor Sarah,  The Math Forum

Middle School About Math