The Why of Algebra

Date: 11/13/98 at 08:33:58
From: brittney smith
Subject: Algebra

I don't get the point of algebra. What is algebra for, when we have
multiplication and division?

Date: 11/13/98 at 11:53:27
From: Doctor Rick
Subject: Re: Algebra

Hi, Brittney.

Don't let your loyalty to your old friends multiplication and division
keep you from making friends with algebra. Algebra doesn't replace them
at all.

What algebra does is to help you decide when to multiply and divide.
It is a problem-solving tool.

The basic trick that makes algebra work is this. Say there's some
quantity, like a weight or an amount of money, that you don't know. The
fact is, even though you don't know the exact number, you know a great
deal about it just because you know it's a number. So you give it a
name (a variable) and you treat it just as if it were a number that you
know. By applying certain rules that work for all numbers, you can
figure out what the number must be.

Algebra is a toolbox full of tools that help you take a problem apart
and put it back together. Multiplication might be the screwdriver, but
your algebra toolbox also has clamps that hold the pieces so the screw
will go in the right place.

Algebra is also a language that lets you talk about a problem, and
think about it. When I try to help a pre-algebra student solve a word
problem, it's hard, because I don't know what words to use to explain
how I thought about the problem. But if I can use algebra, I just have
to define some variables and write an equation, and explain which rules
to use to change the equation until you get the answer.

Those are just a few thoughts on what algebra is good for. Don't sell
it short. Algebra will be a good friend to have some day when you're
wondering, "Should I add first, or multiply?"

- Doctor Rick, The Math Forum

Middle School About Math
Middle School Algebra