Infinity Plus One

Date: 12/26/95 at 21:14:39
From: Anonymous
Subject: infinity

What is infinity plus 1?

Date: 3/26/96 at 22:14:18
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: infinity

Hi there!

The question you ask has puzzled me for a LONG, LONG time.  (And
still does, most of the time.)  Infinity isn't really a number,
because we can't NAME a last number.  That would be silly, since
we could just add one to it, and get another number for as long as
we wanted.

That is, no matter how high you count, you can always count higher
(as Mega Math says).

So, infinity + 1 is still infinity.

I hope this makes sense... Keep thinking about it, because these
are good questions, and they're not easily answered.

If you have access to the WWW, please look at MegaMath.  They have
some great pages on infinity (and lots of other topics in math):

http://www.c3.lanl.gov/mega-math/workbk/infinity/inhotel.html

Write us back with more questions!

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum