Infinity

Date: 5/24/96 at 8:5:6
From: dhautree
Subject: Infinity

Is infinity positive or negative ?

This question came up in a maths master class for primary students.

Date: 5/24/96 at 10:31:30
From: Doctor Ethan
Subject: Re: Infinity

Hey,

Neat question.

In most settings in mathematics we think of there being two
infinities. In calculus, limits can approach positive infinity or
negative infinity. I think that this is the way to think of it
99% of the time.

On occasion it is useful to the think of the number line as a great
huge circle with the negative direction and the positive direction
meating at some point way out there called infinity.

Hope that helps.

-Doctor Ethan,  The Math Forum

Elementary Number Sense/About Numbers