Is Zero Even, Odd, or Neither?

Date: 03/31/97 at 22:00:45
From: A Goldberg
Subject: Is Zero Even, Odd, or Neither?

Today 2 students made a bet on whether zero is even, or neither even
nor odd.  After polling 4 math teachers, it's a 2-2 tie.  Please
explain the correct answer, and why (i.e. by definitions of whole
numbers, integers, even properties...)

Thanks.

Date: 04/01/97 at 05:28:16
From: Doctor Pete
Subject: Re: Is Zero Even, Odd, or Neither?

Zero is an even number.  An integer n is called *even* if there exists
an integer m such that n = 2m, and *odd* if n+1 is even.  From this,
it is clear that 0 = (2)(0) is even.  The reason for this definition
is so that we have the property that every integer is either even or
odd.

I'm surprised that some teachers believe 0 to be neither even nor
odd....

-Doctor Pete,  The Math Forum

Elementary Number Sense/About Numbers