Numbers and Numerals

Date: 09/06/97 at 22:22:12
From: Shavon Moore
Subject: Algebra 1

What's the difference between a number and a numeral? I think a number
is a digit and a numeral is like Roman or something.

Date: 09/12/97 at 20:53:09
From: Doctor Mike
Subject: Re: Algebra 1

Hi Shavon,

Yes, you are pretty much correct.  A numeral is a way of representing
a number. For instance the number seven can be represented by "7" or
by "VII".

There have been many number writing systems in history. One by the
Mayan people used the following symbol for seven:

 . .
_____

I hope this helps.

-Doctor Mike,  The Math Forum