Why Commas after Every Three Places?

Date: 07/10/2001 at 00:30:27
From: Larry
Subject: Commas after every 3 places?

Why do we put commas after every three places in a number like
200,000?

Thank you.

Date: 07/10/2001 at 05:28:55
From: Doctor Floor
Subject: Re: Commas after every 3 places?

Hi, Larry,

Thanks for writing.

The use of commas in large numbers is not necessary, it is a service
to the reader.

The commas are exactly in the right places to show thousands,
millions, billions, trillions, etc., so they fit the way we pronounce
the numbers.

Also, it is quite comfortable to read numbers in parts of three
digits, when you have to "spell" them.

Commas are not used everywhere in the world to do this job. It can be
done by using spaces as well, so instead of

      3,978,654,128

one sometimes sees

      3 978 654 128

In my home country, the Netherlands, the roles of dot and comma are
reversed, so here we would write:

      3.978.654.128

and the decimal number 3.978 is written as 3,978 in the Netherlands.
Be careful when you are outside your own country!

Best regards,
- Doctor Floor, The Math Forum

Elementary Number Sense/About Numbers