Compensatory Number

Date: 01/29/2002 at 08:20:38
From: Kris Marshall
Subject: Math term: compensatory number

Is there a math definition for the term "Compensatory number"? In the
English dictionary compensation can mean an equivalent or balancing
number. I was asked this question by our Gifted Services Coordinator
but I'm not sure of the context.

She also wanted the definition of compatible number and I found
several references in the archives.

Thanks in advance.

Date: 01/29/2002 at 09:57:56
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Math term: compensatory number

Hi Kris - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

See:

   Mathematics Glossary, Ohio Draft Education Standards
   http://www.ohioctm.org/glos01.htm

   Compensatory numbers are used to adjust numbers in a computation
   after use of compatible numbers.

   Example 1: 25 / 6 =~ (equals approximately) 24 / 6 = 4 is an
   approximate answer using compatible numbers. The exact answer is
   given as 4 + 1/6, where 1/6 is the compensatory number.

   Example 2: 32 - 17 becomes 32 - 20 using compatible numbers. The
   exact answer is 15, so the compensatory number allowing someone to
   adjust the estimated difference is 3.

   Example 3: 23 + 18  =~ 23 + 20 = 43. Since two was added to
   increase 18 to 20 as compatible numbers, two will be subtracted
   from 43 to compensate for the change. Thus, two is the compensatory
   number.

   Example 4: 32 - 17 = 35 - 20. This is the equal adding method
   (three was added to both numbers in the subtraction problem), which
   is not the same thing as compensatory numbers.

- Doctor Sarah, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 01/29/2002 at 11:10:09
From: Kris Marshall

Thank you very much for your repid and helpful reply!

Associated Topics:
Elementary Number Sense/About Numbers