Compatible Number Estimating

Date: 01/31/2002 at 20:23:16
From: Matt Ward
Subject: Compatible numbers to estimate quotient

My homework is on compatible numbers to estimate quotients - for
example, 1,625 divided by 38. My Mom and Dad don't understand it

Please help me to understand it.

Date: 01/31/2002 at 23:30:36
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Compatible numbers to estimate quotient

Hi, Matt.

You want to replace 38 with a nearby number that divides easily into
something near 1625. (That's what "compatible" means: they play well
together.) Try just rounding it up to the nearest 10:

Is there a simple multiple of 40 near 1625? Yes, since 4 times 4 is
16, 40 times 40 is 1600. So our compatible numbers are

Our estimate is 40. The actual quotient is 42.76, so we're not too far

Here is a brief discussion in our archives:

   Compatible Number Method for Estimating

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum
Associated Topics:
Elementary Division