Duotrigintillion or Dotrigintillion?

Date: 03/14/2002 at 02:05:28
From: Webster Clervis
Subject: Duotrigintillion or Dotrigintillion?

My dad and I looked at some of the biggest numbers here today. He said
I could send this. What number is right? Duotrigintillion or

Date: 03/14/2002 at 08:53:48
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Duotrigintillion or Dotrigintillion?

Hi, Webster.

Both forms are used, if you can actually say they are used! Since
names like these are mostly just made up in order to complete the
list, people have different opinions and there's no authority to refer
to for a final decision. Several other number names (or polygon names,
and so on) vary in this way.

I presume you saw these, which use "duo-":

   Decillion, Vigintillion, Trigintillion... - Dr. Math archives

   Numbering Systems and Place Values - John Knoderer

and these, which use "do-":

   Names for Big Numbers - Dr. Math archives

   Names for Large Numbers - Russ Rowlett

You might be interested in this site I recently found, which
illustrates some of the variation you can find in similar terms:

   Numbers and Numerical Prefixes - Forthright

The fact is, correct spelling is not always as clear as modern
American schools want you to think! You can choose which form you
think works best; I lean toward "duo-" myself, as you see here:

   Powers of 10 - Dr. Math archives

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum