The 4th Dimension

Date: 2/10/96 at 15:39:37
From: Anonymous
Subject: 4th Dimension, the Over-Sphere.

In my Geometry class, about two weeks ago, we read the book,
_Sphereland_.  In it, when it talked about Overcubes and
Overspheres, I couldn't visualize this. Even though I know
we really shouldn't be able to see 4d figures, just as 2d creatures
can't visualize 3d creatures, is there any way you could describe
an oversphere?

Thank you in advance,
Mike L.

Date: 3/8/96 at 23:14:23
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: 4th Dimension, the Over-Sphere.

Hi Mike! Thanks for your question! I love thinking about the
fourth dimension.  For reading about the fourth dimension, there
are a few other good books around.  The classic, called _Flatland_
(by Edwin Abbott), talks mostly about a 2D world, but the 2D hero,
a Square, also travels into a 1D world and has an encounter with a
sphere that might help you relate to questions about the oversphere.

Another book I'd particularly recommend is _Planiverse_, which
talks about lots of technical details from zippers and doors to playing
volleyball in a 2D universe.  It's an awesome story and again should
give you ideas about 4D.

For pictures on the web, try

   http://www.uccs.edu/~eswab/hyprspac.htm

which will give you a sense of what 4-D polyhedra, like the
hypercube, the four-dimensional analogue of the cube, might look
like.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!  Feel free to write
back with more questions!

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
High School Geometry