Solving an Equation with two Variables

Date: 11/20/95 at 19:55:26
From: Anonymous
Subject: algebra

The problem is n+n+5=25.  How do I do this?  It has two variables.
I tried doing it by subtracting an "n" but then I realized that then
I would have to subtract an "n" from the 25.  I also tried
subtracting the 5 but then I didn't know what to do with the two
"n"'s left.  Help!

Date: 11/22/95 at 10:26:31
From: Doctor Jonathan
Subject: Re: algebra

Well, you don't actually have two variables.  You just have one variable
that is added twice.  n+n is also 2*n, right?  So you can rewrite the
equation as 2n + 5 = 25.  Do you see how to solve it now? If you need
more help, feel free to write back.

-Doctor Jonathan,  The Geometry Forum

Associated Topics:
Middle School Algebra