Quadratic Equations

Date: 3/19/96 at 7:48:50
From: Laura Elder
Subject: Quadratic Equations

Would you please tell me how quadratic equations are used in the real
world?  If I understood how some of this math is used, I think it
would help me learn it better.

Thanks,

Laura Elder

Date: 9/19/96 at 18:36:35
From: Doctor Chaos
Subject: Re: Quadratic Equations

I can assure you that quadratics are used in many places in the "real"
world.  For example: Satellite dishes, which are very popular now, are
created using a quadratic.  Another name for these satellite receivers
is parabolic reflectors, because the curve known as a parabola is used
and is a quadratic.

The same thing is true for theatre spotlights for rock concerts.

Quadratics are used to predict the path of a thrown object.

The list goes on and on.  I strongly suggest you do a little more
research and find out where else quadratics are used.  Good luck, and
above all, have fun doing it.

-Doctor Chaos,  The Math Forum

Middle School Algebra