Learning Algebra

Date: 6/3/96 at 3:2:23
From: Anonymous
Subject: Learning Algebra

How do you solve for: x(x+1) + 2 (x + 1) = ?

I have been trying to do this for a long time but I still can't do it.
I am not so good at algebra. Could you teach me algebra? I hope so.
Thanks. Hope you can give me the answers soon.

Date: 6/4/96 at 18:5:2
From: Doctor Jodi

Hi there!

This is just a multiplication problem. We multiply x's just as
though they were any old number - but the notation is different. When
you multiply 5 times 5, you know that you have 25. But when you
multiply x times x, you get x squared (written x^2 on the computer).
(25 is 5 squared, also. The difference is that we have to abbreviate
since we don't know what x is...)

x(x+1) is the same as x*x + x*1 or x squared + x
2(x+1) is the same as 2*x + 2*1 or 2x + 2

So x(x+1) + 2(x+1) = x squared + x + 2x +2

We can add x and 2x to get 3x, and rewrite this as

x squared + 3x + 2

Hope this helps. Be patient with yourself while you're learning
algebra - you might have to spend more time with the problems for a
while, but I'm sure you'll start to get the hang of it in a bit.

Let us know if you need more help!

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Middle School Algebra