Pre-calculus Extra Credit Projects

Date: 6/5/96 at 1:1:10
From: MATTHEW A MARCELLO
Subject: Pre-calculus projects

Dear Dr. Math,

I am a junior at Milford High School.  I am currently taking
Pre-Calculus and I was wondering if you could help me out. My teacher
is willing to allow us, the students, to do an extra credit project,
but nobody knows what to do it on.  Both the Pre-Calc teachers at my
school tried to come up with a list of projects to do, but they were
unsuccessful.  If you have any ideas for an extra credit project in
Pre-Calculus they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Matt Marcello

Date: 6/5/96 at 17:42:32
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: pre-calculus projects

Hi Matt!

One of the best ways to come up with a project is to look at what
other students have done.  At

  http://brillig.nebrwesleyan.edu/~glarose/classes/calc/calcprojects.html

you'll find links to quite a few students' calculus projects.

Some other topics/projects that might be interesting:

  - non-Euclidean geometry
  - a dictionary of curves
  - organize a math fair for younger students.
      Do math crafts, pose puzzles, etc.
  - history of calculus - Newton/Leibniz
  - the Golden Ratio and Fibonacci Numbers

I hope this helps!

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Middle School Algebra